Sourdough special loaf
22nd September 2020
How to make a Sourdough loaf
It's Sourdough September and we’re highlighting this unique and delicious bread that is nurtured from a small mother dough to a stunning full loaf. Our head chef is sharing his favourite recipe so you can attempt this bake at home.
You will need a starter though. Here's how to make a starter dough 14 days in advance. Once you have the mother dough, just follow this simple step by step recipe.
TOP TIP: You’ll need a stand mixer, rattan basket and a steam setting on your oven for the best results. If you don’t have a steam setting, you can fill a baking pan with water and place on the bottom shelf to create steam.
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixer with dough attachment and on a low to medium speed knead until dough comes away from the bowl and is almost elastic and stretches without tearing.
2. Leave in a bowl and cover and prove for 3 hours.
3. Knock back dough and shape your dough.
4. Put into a well-floured rattan basket, cover and prove overnight in the fridge
5. Preheat oven to 230 degrees with 40% steam or moisture
6. Turn out your sourdough onto a firm metal tray and score with a razor blade how you wish
7. Bake for 20-25 mins, then remove and place onto a wire rack for cooling
8. Slice when cool and serve with farmhouse butter and preserves or as a base for a robust eggs Benedict. Enjoy with a hot tea, Chardonnay or lemonade.
9. Freeze for future use, if required. It can be stored for up to three months in this manner.
800g strong flour
460ml tepid water
10g sea salt
320g mother dough